Volunteering and Work Experience
There is an expectation for the Careers Programme to continue to meet the Gatbsy Bechmarks 5&6 that are concerned encounters with employers and employees and experience of the workplace. We work closely with the Careers and Enterprise Company who themselves are looking to provide virtual work experience resource directory that schools across Medway can dip into. Meanwhile. we are contacting our alumni and employer contacts to provide updates of any opportunities, and to support us in our aim to provide a Virtual Careers Fair, this January.
The Careers & Enterprise Company train Enterprise Advisors who volunteer their business expertise and knowledge to help strengthen a schools Careers Programme. RMGS is linked with Enterprise Advisor Rob Brack who himself has a background in Design. We are very pleased to have Rob on board with his many employer contacts, and a wealth of experience mentoring young people. He has been involved in many careers related projects at local schools and is keen to continue to ‘give something back’ to our young people’. Rob has recently set up his own business The Kiwi Print Company. Find out more about him and his work at www.kiwiprintcompany.co.uk
Some companies are offering Virtual Work Experience opportunities, the links below are examples of opportunities that the companies you might want to work for in future may have on their careers/work with us sections. Keep in mind how relevant a project would be to a personal statement/future application, and how much of your spare time it would take up.
Alumni can be good source of advice and guidance for work. Contact Miss Jobbins by email if you have a virtual work experience project in mind or with the area of work you would like some expert advice on or opportunities for firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the ‘alumni pages
- https://thestemhub.org.uk/index.php/stem-at-home - resources for students to get involved in at home
- https://thestemhub.org.uk/index.php/ambassadors-at-work -ambassadors stories of the roles they are in
- https://imascientist.org.uk/ online student forum
- https://icould.com/explore/ range of careers videos
- https://workexperience.hfm.co.uk/ Virtual Work experience for students interested in design
- https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE Brighton & Sussex Medical School Work Experience for students interested in Medicine